Talks and Tours
1. From Hillfort to Village: the history of Ashwell
2. A School for the Lower Orders: Ashwell Merchant Taylors’ School 1662 to 2001
3. The Good, Indifferent and Outrageous: the story of some rural schoolmasters 1660 to 2000
4. Reading the Landscape: what to look for to tell the story of the countryside
5. Timber-framed houses - how they were constructed
6. What people had in their houses 1600 - 1700
7. Aspects of Rural Life in Hertfordshire 400 to 1500
8. The Changing Face of Hertfordshire: the county seen through An Historical Atlas of Hertfordshire
9. The History of Surnames
10. Shepherding in Ashwell in the late 20th century.
Equipment: Will supply own projector. Need a screen.
Length 30 - 60 minutes to requirements
Fee: £40.00 plus travel expenses at 40p per mile.
Tours of Ashwell
A tour consists of a brief introduction to the history of the village followed by the tour which shows the development of the settlement and most of the important sites. It does not include a visit to St Mary’s church or the interior of the art nouveaux URC chapel.
Length: 2 hours